Saturday, July 20, 2013

We are all Pioneers

Recently in my ward a member of the Bishopric gave a talk about being a pioneer. During his talk he mentioned me and a few others as pioneers of our time. When I heard this statement I found it odd that anyone would see me as a pioneer. A pioneer to me were those individuals who came across by wagons and handcarts in search for a better life. To me that was not what I was doing.

  I thought about his talk for a few days and then decided to look up the word "pioneer." Pioneer is defined as "a person or group that originates or helps open up a new line of thought or activity or a new method or technical development." How did that definition fit my life? I remembered that he mentioned that I was the first one in my family to join the church. This is how I came to know that I am a pioneer.

  I have opened a new line of thought and activity among my family. Although most of them have shown no interest in the church they are now more aware of my religion. They have taken the time to learn the standards that I live and are more open to accepting. Since being baptized my mother has been baptized and has followed suite. I have been a pioneer by living the standards and being faithful in the gospel. I have been a pioneer by sharing my struggles and my triumphs. I have tried to share my ideas on this blog so that others may see that no matter how strong my testimony appears I still struggle with the every day things in life. I struggle spiritually all the time, but I remain steadfast and strong. Sure I have no idea how we will pay our bills next month, but I will first and foremost ensure that I pay my tithing. There are days when I don't feel well and could easily skip church, but I get up and attend. I never feel like there is enough time in the day to study scriptures, do family history, or attend the temple, but I make the time as hard as it may be. I do these things because I so badly want to be blessed. I know that if we do these things that we will be blessed. 

   We are about to embark on a journey to Martin's Cove. We get to reenact a small fraction of what the pioneers from the beginning of the church faced. They were willing to give all their possessions and some even gave their lives for this gospel. I know and pray that spiritually I will be lifted. I need it so much right now. I tried to back out of going on trek because financially it's going to be impossible taking that much time off work. However when I prayed about it and asked Heavenly Father for a sign we received another calling to be a Ma and a Pa. I felt that I could not turn that down so I took that as my answer. I am going on trek and going to leave me stresses behind until I return. I know Heavenly Father will bless us for our diligence. I have a testimony that we can all be pioneers. We can share this gospel with everyone and anyone. We can change lives by being pioneers.

No comments:

Post a Comment