Monday, December 16, 2013

I've Repented: Now What?

   Repentance is defined as one of the first principles of the gospel and is essential to our temporal and eternal happiness. It is much more than just acknowledging wrongdoings. It is a change of mind and heart that gives us a fresh view about God, about ourselves, and about the world. It includes turning away from sin and turning to God for forgiveness. It is motivated by love for God and the sincere desire to obey His commandments.

  In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints there are some situations when part of repenting is confessing our sins to the priesthood authority such as Bishop, Stake President etc. We must repent of all sins because we can not be in Heavenly Father's presence if we are unclean. We must repent, abandon sin, and get on the path of living a righteous life. What happens when we have done all of these things yet others have not forgotten?

   In Doctrine and Covenants 58:42 it states,  "Behold, he who has repented of his sins, the same is forgiven, and I, the Lord, remember them no more." Often when we sin our sins can have a negative effect on others so when we have repented and the Lord remembers our sin no more how do we move on when others still remember?  And more so how do we move on when we have asked those for forgiveness and not yet received it from them.

  We must stand strong and know that we have done what the Lord has asked of us. We have confessed and repented. We have changed our hearts and abandoned those sins. We have put ourselves on the righteous path. We will not be able to please everyone in this life and there will always be those that will judge us for our past transgressions. We must remember however that we have been forgiven by the only one who truly matters, our Heavenly Father.

 I know from personal experience how difficult remembering that simple fact can be. I had to repent of my sins and although I was told I was forgiven. Others had not forgiven me as quickly. I have struggled over that fact for many years until I realized that I was letting the judgment of others define who I was. I wanted to be on the righteous path. Satan will pull you in his direction any way he can. He will convince you that because others are judging you and that because others haven't forgiven you that maybe Heavenly Father has not. Do not give in. Stand strong and know that if Heavenly Father has forgiven you and others have not then it is on them. We are commanded to forgive those as Heavenly Father has forgiven us.

  I have a testimony of the repentance process. I know that if we truly repent and abandon the sin that we can and will be forgiven. I know that Heavenly Father loves us and wants what is best for us. I know that we most only remember what He feels and not what others feel about our sin. We must move on and become the righteous being we came here to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment