Sunday, December 29, 2013

Think Before You Speak

Guilty as charged!! This topic is something that has been weighing on my mind because I am guilty at doing this: not thinking before I speak. I remember a conversation with a friend when I simply told a friend that atimes are not good right now as we owe our Home Owners Association fee which is a lot of money. I did not think much of what I was saying and although this comment would probably have some friends agree with me I was not thinking of the person I said it too. He replied that he could not wait until the day he had to pay a home owner's association fee because that would mean he would finally own his own home.  I instantly felt horrible. Here I was complaining about something that he could only dream about. I put this in the back of mind and tried to watch what I said to others.

  In Doctrine and Covenants 78:19 it states, " He who receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious." We must always remember to be thankful for our blessings and also remember to find the true meaning of our trials. Keep in mind that others are fighting battles too. I think everyone needs to vent at times and that is perfectly acceptable. What I am suggesting is that maybe we be more careful about how we vent or complain. I once read a book that suggested you pick one person you vent to and that is the only person you vent too. I have tried this is my own life and I have one friend that I tell everything too. For the most part I keep my struggles to myself aside from telling her. This helps to ensure that I will not offend anyone with my complaints about life's struggles.

  We must keep others in mind at all times. Think before you speak. Think could this person be offended by my complaints. Remember that although you might not be in love with your house layout that there are those who would just love a home to call their own; that you hardly have money to do anything fun there are those who can't even pay all their bills; that your kids are driving you crazy or you never have free time that there are those who would give up all their free time to be able to have children. These are just a few examples of simple things that you might say that could hurt other people.

 I strive every day to keep my life positive and I know that I am blessed because I do so. We must always be thankful for everything we are given in life and even those things we are not given. Heavenly Father knows what we need and He will provide for us. I urge everyone to just think next time before you speak negatively about something if the person you are saying it too could take offense to it. I urge everyone to pick a venting buddy! It is good to get out life's frustrations. Pray to Heavenly Father for guidance. He is there to help you.

1 comment:

  1. I have three: my mom, my sister, and my husband. I should probably keep it confined to them or I'll just be a whiner. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete