Saturday, June 29, 2013

Be an example



   Be a good example…sounds easy enough right? In the world today there is so much temptation that we must stand our ground. As Latter Day Saints we live by much different standards than most the world. As a convert I still have people in my life that are not members and it is my part as a Latter Day Saint to be that example. How would it appear if I did not live the standards of my religion?

    It was not an easy task to start living the standards that are asked by our Heavenly Father, but they blessings are worth far more than a cup of coffee, a glass of wine, a one night stand, or dressing immodestly.  When presenting my beliefs it is much easier to say that I believe this church is true and I believe so much that I live by all the standards. We are not perfect, but we should always strive to be better. We must be a little better every day.

   When I first started investigating the church the missionaries were sent to my home because I questioned a member on why she followed the Word of Wisdom. When I would have parties at my house for my birthday that involved activities the church does not approve of she would stop by to show support as a friend, but then quickly leave. She was living the standards of the church and I often questioned why she did. After many times of asking she said that I should ask the missionaries and so I did. No one really gave me an answer other than it’s what we are told and it’s what we do. I laughed at this idea.  I wondered why anyone would live certain standards yet have no defined reasons why. Quickly I believed Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God, but I could not grasp onto all the “rules” the missionaries said I must follow if I was baptized. I took the lessons and read the Book of Mormon, but continued living my life how I always had been.
    
    One day it all clicked to me that what these Mormons were doing was acting on faith. They believed that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God and they followed his teachings.  I realized that if I believed in Joseph Smith I had to accept the standards and live by them even if I truly did not understand them. This is exactly what I did. I wanted to believe so I had my last drink of alcohol, my last cup of coffee, wore my last tank top and small shorts. I embraced the standards and it has been over two years since I have done any of these things.  I am not saying that I have lived the standards 100 percent all the time, but there are some that I have not wavered from.  
 
    I was so incredibly happy the first time someone said to me, “I knew by the way you lived that you were a Mormon.” This statement meant so much to me that because I lived a certain way someone recognized this. I had become a great example just like my friend had been to me.  I have been in the situation where it would have been easier to just do what everyone else was doing, but I did not. I stood my ground and lived the standards that I know bless your life. 

    I say to those who struggle to live the standards that if you get your life on the right path your life will be blessed. Be an example to your friends and to your family.  People are more likely to be interested in the gospel if you are interested.  Be interested in the standards you live so that when people meet you that they know you are a Latter Day Saints. Don’t be afraid to show it and live it. This gospel has blessed my life in so many ways. It is my happiness, my pure happiness. I want to share it with everyone and I want people to ask why I live by certain standards so that I can say, “Let me tell you about the Book of Mormon.” The best way to be a missionary is to live the standards and be a good example.

1 comment: